North Harbour Bays Athletics Inc

Club History

East Coast Bays Club operated in the 1950’s as a Children’s-only club. In 1973 North Shore Club was formed as a Senior-only club.  In 1977 their respective presidents (Graeme Avery and Dave Norris) initiated a merger and North Shore Bays Athletics was born. The Club underwent a name change to North Harbour Bays and the athletes compete as Bays Athletics  Because the 300m track at Windsor Park was inadequate for its expanding membership, the Club fundraised, built and maintained the $3 million Sovereign Stadium.

With the building of the Millennium Institute of Sport & Health, the Club generously handed over major assets, including the stadium to the Institute, to form part of the Sovereign Sports Super Centre.

The Institute features state of the art sporting facilities:


- Eight lane outdoor Rekortan track
- Two horizontal jump pits
- Two high jump fans
- Two shot competition circles
- Two pole vault areas
- A discus and a hammer compeition circle
- Two javelin runways
- Full electronic timing facilities
- Floodlighting for night training/competition


- Indoor six lane athletics track (60m) with 20m
  deceleration zone Mondo surface with timing
  and force measuring capability
- Horizontal jumping pit (with force plate
- Pole vault dome
- High jump fan with force plate capability
- Strength and conditioning equipment and video
  analysis cameras and timing gates